- Can any middle schooler participate in the Volunteer Community Service Program?
No, our Volunteer Community Service Program is sponsored by the Town of Ithaca, the Village of Lansing, Village of Cayuga Heights, and the Town of Caroline and serves only youth who live in those municipalities.
If you can answer “YES” to the following questions, you can participate!
- I live in the Town of Ithaca, the Village of Lansing, Village of Cayuga Heights, or the Town of Caroline.
- I attend Dewitt Middle School- (for the Fall session of the program.)
- I attend Boynton Middle School- (for the spring session of the program.)
- I attend either Dewitt, Boynton, or Lehman Alternative Community School- (for the summer session of the program.)
- I am home schooled (can participate in any session of the program.)
- Can I do the program with my friends?
If your friends can answer “YES” to the questions above, they are welcome to join if there is space available.
- What is the time commitment for the program?
- The fall and spring programs meet one day a week – for two hours right after school from 3:30 pm until 5:30 pm, meeting for ten weeks.
- The summer program meets twice a week from 9:00 am until 12:30 pm for 6 weeks. There is a Monday/Wednesday and a Tuesday/Thursday group to choose from.
- How do we get to and from the service sites and back home after the program?
Your Learning Web Coordinator and Learning Web Program Assistant (who is a Cornell Work/Study Student employee) will provide transportation to the service site and back to the school for pick up. If you are in need of assistance with transportation, let your Learning Web Coordinator know and a plan will be put in place to assist with transportation.
- Can this count for community service hours?
Yes, you will need to make sure your Learning Web Coordinator gets the forms that need to be completed to document your service.
- Is there a cost for this program?
No, the program is free.
- How do I sign up?
Download the current information sheet and application